Yes, its true. Whether simple or complex a gallery wall of art, photographs or collectibles can be added to any space to create interest, depth and warmth. It was not until I wrote this post that I realized how much I love a good gallery wall. While I tend to sway to the "less is more" aesthetic, collections large or small, if done in a thoughtful way, can bring such life to your home.
My rule/s of thumb:
- art and collections should speak to each home & its owners
- frames are just as important as the art
- old canvas wrapped art is interesting in an of itself - leave it unframed
- collect vintage frames like you would vintage art (you never know when you might need it).
- find anchors in your collection that tie the gallery wall together (whether through color, size, layout, frames or coordinating elements)